Spirit of Volunteerism
It’s time to celebrate the individuals, youth, corporations and groups of people who exemplify the true Spirit of Volunteerism!
The Helpline Center is seeking your help in honoring the volunteers who make our community a wonderful place to live. Please consider nominating an outstanding volunteer, corporation or group of volunteers that you know for a Spirit of Volunteerism Award.
All nominees and winners will be recognized at the 2015 Spirit of Volunteerism Awards Luncheon that will be held on May 5th at the Sioux Falls Convention Center from 11:30 am to 1:00 pm. Each nominee in the adult category will receive one complimentary ticket to the luncheon; each youth and group nominee will receive two complimentary tickets. $500 contributions will be made to non-profit organizations with 501(c)(3) status on behalf of winners in the youth, adult and group categories.
You do NOT need to be a 501C3 to make a nomination. Non-profit agencies, individuals, groups and companies can all make nominations.
Click here to make a nomination online.
Corporate Humanitarian Awards. Presented to a corporation or a business for its outstanding volunteer involvement and support. Two winners will be announced; one award for business with less than 100 employees and one award for business with 100+ employees.
Youth Award. Nominees must be 18 or younger. A $500.00 cash award will be presented to a non-profit organization in honor of the winner.
Adult Award. Nominees may be nominated for a variety of volunteer services. One award will honor a nominee, 19 or older, who is employed full time in addition to their volunteer efforts. One award will honor a nominee, 19 or older, who retired and/or works less than 40 hours a week. A $500.00 cash award will be presented to a non-profit organization in honor of each winner.
Group Award. Nominees must include two or more individuals. A $500.00 cash award will be presented to a non-profit organization in honor of the winner.
Citi. Youth Leadership Awards will also be presented. Applications are not part of this nomination form.
Click here to view the 2014 Spirit of Volunteerism Award Winners
- Volunteer services must be performed within a 30 mile radius of Sioux Falls.
- Nominee’s volunteer organization must serve the community at large. Religious, fraternal or professional groups providing services to their members only are not eligible.
- Individuals are NOT eligible for the award contribution.
- Contribution check must be made payable to a qualifying non-profit organization with a 501©(3) status with the Internal Revenue Service. If the organization for which the nominee was providing services is not eligible for contribution, another qualifying agency may be designated.
- Volunteer service(s) may be performed on work-related time, or for student course credit.
- Youth Award- Individual, 18 years or younger at the time of nomination.
- Nominees are eligible in ONE category only.
- Groups Award- 2 or more individuals.
- Winners in every category cannot be nominated again for three consecutive years after they have been selected to win the award.
- Decisions of the judges are final.
- Winners will be announced at the event and not before.
- Helpline Center staff, volunteers, and SVA judges are not eligible. Sponsors are not eligible in the categories they sponsor.
Tips for Completing An Outstanding Nomination
Type or print (nomination form may be retyped on computer, if format remains the same).
Be specific and concise, attaching no more than two additional pages.
Provide ALL information requested. Do not leave questions blank.
DO NOT send videos, scrapbooks, or binders.
Focus on the program or activity that best describes nominee’s service.
Assume judges know nothing about the nominees, organization or community.
Your nominee will be judged based on your essay and the criteria cited on the other side of this form.
Well-written nominations score higher. If necessary, ask for help form someone who has excellent writing skills. Proof-read completed nomination form for errors/omissions.
Agencies, individual nominations and organizations are required to notify nominee of their nomination.
**Nominations and attachments become property of the Helpline Center and will not be returned.