Rapid City Spirit of Volunteerism Award winners named
Spirit of Volunteerism Awards
More than 315 people, including local community leaders, non-profit agency representatives and business executives, turned out Tuesday, May 2, for the second annual Spirit of Volunteerism Awards luncheon at the Best Western Ramkota. The Helpline Center hosted the luncheon, which recognized and celebrated the efforts of 47 nominees, honorees and award winners, as well as the 12 Volunteers of the Month from the past year.
The Spirit of Volunteerism awards are made possible through the generous support of Scull Construction, BankWest, Black Hills Energy and Regional Health. Midco sponsored a commemorative program for the event, and Black Hills Urgent Care recognized each Volunteer of the Month from the previous year.
The 2017 winners are:
- Youth Category: Jessica Benson, for giving more than 500 hours in the past two years to volunteer projects in the community, including with Teen Up and Take ACTion.
- Adult Shining Bright Category: Kristen Andrews, for helping children and families in crisis through Bethany Christian Services Safe Families for Children.
- Adult Up and Coming: Solomon Red Bear, for his nearly daily volunteer work with the Hope Center.
- Group Category: Vincent de Paul, for assisting as many as 150 people each month with financial, volunteer and spiritual help.
- Corporate Humanitarian Category: Casey Peterson, LTD, for its company-wide commitment to serving the community through volunteerism.
The following Black Hills Urgent Care Volunteers of the Month were also recognized:
- June – Anne Miller, nominated by Girl Scouts Dakota Horizons.
- July – Jessica Benson, nominated by Teen Up.
- August – Joel Guptill, nominated by Black Hills Works.
- September – Conard Gilbert, nominated by Cornerstone Apartments.
- October – Joe Izzillo, nominated by United Blood Services.
- November – Joyce Huber, nominated by Rapid City YMCA.
- December – Andrew No Heart, nominated by Meals on Wheels Western South Dakota.
- January – Nancy Stephenson, nominated by Rapid City Arts Council/Dahl Arts Center.
- February – Jennifer Freeman, nominated by SDSU Extension AmeriCorp.
- March – Keith and Alberta Schulte, nominated by Cornerstone Thrift Store.
- April – Leon Lunders, nominated by Catholic Social Services.
- May – Millie Laue, nominated by Meals on Wheels Western South Dakota.